Thursday, September 6, 2012
Toilet Training
Today's REason I know you love me: You rushed home and helped with Benson. Today was the first day of potty training and you wanted to be there to experience it too. I love that about you. You want to be so involved here in our lives. Thanks.
Today is one of those days I thought would never, ever come. Potty training day. It is such a big step for me as a mother, I feel. Ridiculous as it may sound, I feel like I am helping to transition my baby into big kid-hood and I don't like it. As he happily sat on the toilet today, I closed my eyes and imagined what life would be like if I just waited to potty train until he was 15 or so. Then I could hold onto my baby forever. I was quickly brought down from my cloud as I envisioned my teenager running into the room and asking if he wiped well enough, That was motivation for me to finish the training. He did so, so well. No accidents. Benson told me when he needed to go and then went! I was so proud of him. Finn, on the other hand, was a crank. He has been so miserable lately and we can't figure out what is ailing him. Teeth? Lack of naps? General bad mood? I guess time will only tell. Benson and Finn are learning so quickly. Benson picks up on things the minute you say them and just has life figured out. Finn is about ready to crawl and loves to play games. I feel like yesterday I was bringing him home from the hospital and that Benson was still learning to talk. Do we really have an almost three year old and one year old. We need to remember days like these. Days where we realize the preciousness of childhood. Days where we remember that this stage does not last forever and soon our babies will be leaving the nest and we will only be left with memories of these times. I often find myself trying to find a fast forward button for life. If only the kids were just a little bit older, we could do this. Just wait until they are older, it will be so fun to do this. I know it will be fun to do those things when they are older, but I love them now. Here and now. Perfect just the way they are. I want to squeeze Finn's fat chubby legs and hear him squeal as much as possible. I want to play trucks with Benson and read stories to him at night because before long he won't want me to anymore. I want to savor the moment with our kids, because that is what makes us happy. I love you. You make me happy and our life together makes us happy.
I love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment